St. Andrew's Church was founded as a daughter church of Holy Trinity Church Wimbledon,
itself a daughter church of St Mary's Wimbledon. The Mission Church opened for divine service on
Trinity Sunday 20 May 1883. The first verger was appointed in October 1885 and the first choirmaster
Dr. Parsons was appointed in November 1886.
The permanent church building, constructed in 1908-9, is a substantial brick and stone basilica designed
by William Henry Lowdell, consecrated by the Bishop of Southwark on 25 September 1909.
Original plans are on line here. The building survives in substantially its original form and has a
great acoustic for singing. In 1910 St. Andrew's was made a parish in its own right,
with Joseph Maunders as the first Vicar.
Some useful links are here:
St Andrew's South Wimbledon Additional Parish Records.
Parish Records and personal history links - details are here
St. Andrew's Church South Wimbledon, Herbert Road, London SW19 3SH